After changing the policy configuration, it is advisable to test the policy before making it live. Tests can be run in the PureMessage Manager, or using the pmx-test command-line program. Note the following variations between these methods:
Testing via the PureMessage Manager:
- Policy changes must be "committed" before running tests.
- The milter does not require a "restart" before running tests; therefore, policy changes can be tested without making the policy "live".
- A record of the test messages is not stored in the message log; therefore, report statistics are not affected.
- Test messages are not added to the quarantine.
Testing via the Command Line (pmx-test):
- The milter must be restarted before running tests.
- A record of the test messages is stored in the message log; therefore, report statistics may be affected.
- Test messages are added to the quarantine.