Reconfiguring the Postfix Service
In the Background Services table on the Local
Services tab, click SMTP (Postfix).
The Postfix Status page is displayed.
On the sidebar, click Change Postfix Configuration.
The Postfix Configuration page is displayed.
Change the text boxes in the Settings table as required.
The text boxes are:
- Name of Mail Server: Specify the fully qualified internet hostname of the mail server. For example, myhost.example.org.
- Domain: Specify the local internet domain name to which this server belongs. For example, example.org.
- Originating Address: Specify the domain name that Postfix should append to unqualified addresses. The value may be specified as $myhostname or $mydomain to use the values specified in the Name of Mail Server and Domain text boxes.
- Destination Address: Specify a list of email addresses that
Postfix should deliver messages for locally. Values in the list should
be separated by a comma and followed by a single space. Again,
$mydomain can be used as in the
Originating Address text box. For example:
- For a workstation or gateway, use: $myhostname, localhost.$mydomain
- For a mailserver for an entire domain (for example, a mail hub), use $myhostname, localhost.$mydomain, $mydomain
- For a mail server that uses a virtual host interface, use $myhostname
- Mail Relay: If the machine is on an open network, then you must specify what client IP addresses are authorized to relay their mail through that machine. The default setting includes all class A, B or C networks that the machine is attached to. Often, that gives relay permission to too many clients, so specifying a more restrictive list is recommended.
- Gateway: The SMTP relay to use for mail delivery. If the machine
is behind a firewall, or if the network has a dedicated mail gateway,
specify the host to relay through. For example:
- To use the server(s) in your domain's DNS MX records, enter $mydomain
- To use the server(s) associated with a host's MX records, enter mail.$mydomain
- To use a specific host without paying attention to MX records, enter [mail.$mydomain]
- Click Save.
- Re-start the Postfix service for the changes to take effect.
© 2017 Sophos Limited. All rights reserved.